Sunday, June 21, 2009

Nupp Zombie!

I won't share a picture of the Firmaments Lace Shawl as it doesn't look all that different from last time (I've finished two more repeats of the same section). Instead, I'll share something new.

Clearly, when I need a break from lace knitting, the answer is to do more lace knitting, no?

Peacock Tail and Leaf Scarf Progress

Behold, the Peacock Tail and Leaf Scarf from Knitted Lace of Estonia by Nancy Bush. I can't seem to take a good picture of the nupps but trust me, they're there. Five of them in every repeat and I've finished 30 out of 32 repeats.

Peacock Tail and Leaf Scarf Progress

They really are quite addictive and I find myself looking forward to them each time. Granted, that might also have something to do with the fact that they are at the midway point of each repeat so they kind of divide up the work a bit.

Also on the needles are another pair of Hourglass, this time for myself.

Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Actual Knitting Content

I have been knitting, I swear. For whatever reason, I just haven't been able to motivate myself to blog about it until now.

Around the beginning of May, I started knitting a circular lace shawl. In one month, this is how far I've gotten.

June Progress

Not bad, huh? I've got about four repeats of the last chart left before I start the border. I'm only on the second 50g skein of KnitPicks Shadow. Lace weight is amazing.

An even greater yarn conservation method is to knit with something that's not yarn. When sorting through some old shirts for donation or rags, I decided to cut some up and knit a market bag.

Recycled T-Shirt Bag

It only took me two nights which is good because it was kind of hell on my hands. Granted, I also stopped as soon as it was anywhere close to a reasonable size.

To make the strips, I cut the hem off the bottom of a shirt completely. I then cut around the whole shirt in a spiral ~1/2 in. wide all the way up to the armholes. At least, that was my intention. There's a reason most of the stripes are pretty short and it wasn't the shirt's fault. Fat girl=plenty of t-shirt material.

I used US13 needles. Instead of fiddling with knitting a handle, I cut three more strips and braided them together and then tied them through a yarn over on each end of the opening. I'm not entirely thrilled with it and might at least go back and knit an i-cord to fasten to it in a similar manner as the braid.