Thursday, October 04, 2007

Banned Book Week

I know that the week is almost over, but I wanted to post about Banned Book Week which is held by the American Library Association each year during the last week of September. Great authors like Toni Morrison, Mark Twain, and John Steinbeck have been banned for several different reasons throughout the years. While I think that many of the reasons that books have been banned from various public and school libraries are valid for why a person would not want to read a book or why parents may feel that their child should not be exposed to certain ideas, I don't think that a few people should be able to decide for everybody what reading material should be available to them. I support the ALA in bringing awareness to banned books and hope others do to.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

here here! Also, I signed up for NaBloPoMo...I attempted NaNoWriMo last year and didn't get very far, oh well. I will certainly do better on this one!

Powered By Blogger