I signed up for Secret Pal 11 and the following is the questionnaire I need to fill out to let my secret pal know a little more about me. Here goes.
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I'm not too picky. I like cotton, alpaca, pure wool, merino, and even many acrylic blends. I've been a little afraid of mohair since it tends to shed and is difficult to rip back with. The only things I really don't like are Red Heart acrylic and fun fur and even those have their places, I just don't like to knit with them much.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I've mainly been using the Knitpicks Options set and store them in the holder that comes with the set. I also recently purchased the Knitpicks sock needle set and also store those in the package they came in. I keep most of my other needles in a zip-up holder from JoAnn's.
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I've been knitting for about two years. My sister finally talked our mom into teaching her and while my mom got me going a little bit my sister relayed a few more things. My sister and I also picked up quite a bit from Stitch and Bitch by Debbie Stoller and I've taught myself a few other techniques mainly from online resources.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Yes, I have an Amazon wishlist. It should be able to be found using my name.
5. What's your favorite scent?
Peach and coffee come to mind quickest. Separately.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
A bit. I like chocolate, especially dark chocolate that also has mint, caramel, or raspberry flavor with it.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I also cross stitch a bit. Otherwise my free time is filled with a lot of reading and watching movies.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I like a lot of indie music and Broadway. My favorite band right now is Rilo Kiley. I listen to MP3s a lot and rely on my iPod to get me through long days in the lab at work.
9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
My favorite colors are purple and blue. I'm not a big fan of orange.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I currently live by myself in an apartment and don't have any pets.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
I like scarves, hats, and mittens but not ponchos.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
I've been into sock knitting lately but also enjoy knitting hats and mittens/fingerless gloves a lot as well as dishcloths.
13. What are you knitting right now?
I've got two pairs of socks going, Mystery Stole 3, a cabled scarf, a pair of felted clogs, a pair of fingerless mittens, and a pair of stranded mittens.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
I appreciate handmade gifts a lot.
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I prefer circular needles and dpns in metal.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
I do not own either.
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
A tessellating fish afghan that's probably just under a year and a half old that has been sitting dormant for about nine months or so. It's out of Red Heart.
18. What is your favorite holiday?
Thanksgiving. All of the food and family of Christmas without the stress of gift giving.
19. Is there anything that you collect?
I have a collection of old books I received from a recently passed away family friends that I cherish.
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I've thought about picking up The Happy Hooker and try my hand at crochet. I don't have any knitting magazine subscriptions yet but I have been thinking about getting one to Interweave. There were a few patterns in the most recent (Fall) issue that appealed to me.
21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
I'd like to try some entrelac and some mosaic knitting. I'd also like to improve my stranding skills.
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
I've hit a bit of a sock knitting kick lately. My foot is about a women's size 8 to 8 1/2. My ankle is about 10" around. It's about 6 1/2" from my ankle to the base of my heel. My foot is about 9 1/4" long.
23. When is your birthday?
24. Are you on Ravelry? If so, what's your ID?
Not yet. There are now less than 2,000 people in front of me, though. I'll probably post my ID once I get on, though.